Mr D Wood – Head of Department.
Mrs J Reid
GCSE BUSINESS STUDIES
Awarding Body AQA
What Will I Study?
Unit 1: Starting a Business – explores all the things you need to do to start a new business including:
Sources of business ideas; planning; aims; legal structure; market research; sources of finance; recruiting and motivating staff; production methods and customer service.
Unit 2 : Growing As a Business – looks at how larger business differ from smaller businesses and includes:
Methods of expansion; limited companies; location; the marketing mix; financial documents; internal organisation; training and motivation methods; lean production and quality issues.
How will I be assessed?
There are 3 assessments:
- Unit 1 – External exam of 1 hour worth 40%
- Unit 2 – External exam of 1 hour worth 35%
- A controlled assessment – set by the exam board, but researched for 8 hours and written up in 3 hours, by students, under supervision of staff in school. Worth 25%
You might have an interest in business from watching TV programmes such as Dragons Den or The Apprentice or have a dream to set up your own business. You may just have an enquiring mind and what it takes to be a great entrepreneur. This course promotes:
- A wider understanding of the world of work.
- Key skills – communication through marketing; numeracy through finance.
- Team work, leadership and problem solving skills.
- Positive attitudes towards ethical and environmental considerations.
The emphasis is on practical and active methods of learning such as writing and presenting a business plan.
The course is designed as a foundation to:
- Advanced Business and Economics Courses
- Business related careers
BTEC Level 2 First Certificate In Business
What will I study?
Unit 1: Enterprise in the Business World – will help you understand the main purpose; types of businesses and context in which they operate, from sole traders to public limited companies and voluntary organisations. You will make a plan for a realistic business start up in the Harrogate District.
Unit 2: Finance for Business – will investigate key financial aspects of business including: profit & loss; break even; budgeting; cash flow and balance sheets.
- Promoting a Brand
- Principles of Customer service
- Sales and personal selling
- Introducing Retail Business
- Providing business Support
- Recruitment, Selection and Employment
How will I be assessed?
75% of the course is continuously assessed through coursework. This will be done through:
- assignment and project work
- real life business case studies
- role play
- display work
- oral presentations.
25 % is an exam on Finance
All work will be completed using ICT. Students must reach a minimum level to pass and can then go onto to reach a merit and distinction level, worth a higher grade, which are equivalent of A, B, C grades at GCSE. This suits students who work best within a careful structure and who respond well to feedback. It is worth 1 GCSE.
This course runs alongside GCSE Business and is designed to provide a more specialist work-related qualification. It gives students the knowledge, understanding and skills that they need to prepare for employment. The certificate covers the main areas of business in a practical manner and is more suited to students who find exams difficult.
A Level Applied Business
Exam Board Certificate in Applied Business AQA
How is this course different?
- It is a vocational complement to A-levels or Tech-levels.
- It is ideal for learners keen to broaden their knowledge of a particular sector.
- It has been developed with the support of higher education.
What do I need to be able to do this course?
- Be interested in the business world around you
- Be able to construct logical and balanced business reports
- Have an enquiring, critical and thoughtful mind
- Be able to work with numbers in terms of making financial calculations; interpreting them and making appropriate decisions as a result
- Analyse a wide range of business scenarios and make a judgement as to the best course of action
- Be able to motivate yourself, work alone or in groups and meet deadlines
What will I do on the course?
This qualification provides:
- a broad understanding of business knowledge and skills to support progress to higher education
- suitable learning alongside other Level 3 qualifications
- with the fundamental knowledge and skills recognised as most important by higher education and employers.
- an opportunity to develop transferrable skills, such as teamwork, research and communication
- Learn about a wide range of business principles and areas including:
- the role of finance in planning an enterprise, analysing and making financial decisions
- how organisations use human, physical and financial resources to achieve goals
- enterprising behaviour and how it encourages entrepreneurial opportunities.
How is it assessed?
- 1 internally assessed piece of coursework
- 1 externally assessed piece of coursework
- 1 External exam
The qualification is graded Pass; Merit; Distinction; Distinction*
What can I do with this course?
This qualification is aimed at 16-18 learners who are in full-time Level 3 education and who wish to progress to higher education and/or pursue a career in business and/or business-related subjects (eg management, finance, entrepreneurship).
Where can I get further information?
S.Capell@staidans.co.uk – Head of Department for Applied Business