St John Fisher School is an 11-19 Catholic mixed comprehensive school. It is a Voluntary Aided Catholic School and, as such, is in a dual partnership with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Leeds and North Yorkshire County Council, as established by the 1944 Education Act.
Situated on a magnificent greenfield site, close to the centre of the beautiful spa town of Harrogate, the school has grown to its current size of 1400 students on roll. A significant part of the school site is occupied by the original 1903 stone buildings of the original Catholic convent school and now part of a conservation area. The new St John Fisher Catholic High School was founded in 1958 and, thanks to the vision of its founding fathers, moved on to the convent site in the early sixties. Reorganised as a comprehensive school in 1973 the school has gone from strength to strength.
Graded “outstanding” in its most recent OFSTED Report, the school was the top non-selective comprehensive school in the 2013 GCSE league tables in Yorkshire. With a national reputation for the quality of its rich sporting and musical life, the school attracts students from Catholic communities from parishes throughout the Diocese of Leeds. The Associated Sixth Form of St Aidans and St John Fisher celebrated its 40th anniversary in 2013. With almost 1200 students on roll, it is the largest school-based Sixth Form in the country.
There is a Christian ethos throughout the school, based on the school’s Catholic foundation and history. These values also drive our community to be outward-looking, ever mindful of our responsibilities to those less privileged than ourselves.